Monday 27 August 2012

Sorting Wool

The wind is whistling, which is not as bad as huffing or soughing, but bad enough to make indoors look better than outdoors, and the wind has teamed up with the rain to splatter aginst the window.  A very good day for sorting out wool.

I have been given wool of all colours and shapes and sizes for Northern Loops.  With some of the wool, our merry band of knitters have made squares, triangles, flowers, hearts, and larger projects such as blankets and shawls.  Digging through the wool prompted me to reflect on all that work and the various rewards we had all received from the efforts.  Thanks again to all those who gave us the wool and to the madacap band of knitters who made it all happen.

Just as I am sorting out wool I am sorting out my own commitments. Just as I am ready to hand on the wool, I am ready also to hand on the coordination and the vision behind the wool.  A friend of mine recently reassured me that someone steps up to take on an organisation and I look forward to having that happen as Northern Loops moves into someone else's hands.

In the meantime, I have bags of wool labelled--this somehow made it more orderly in my mind--for a friend who knits like mad for charity.  The little bits of wool I might otherwise have overlooked or thought were of no use will make Swiss darned flowers atop a baby's hat, or the face on a clown puppet or the stripe in a T shirt for a Shoebox.  Thinking of that made me happy.  Seeing through someone else's vision is refreshing.

A local group of knitters, Thurso Yarnbombers (look for them on Facebook) have been invited by local museum (Caithness Horizons) to make a sea-themed project so I have a bag of creams and blues that I hope will become a part of their project.  I have said that I was too busy to knit for them, but as I sorted through the wool, I reserved for myself the green, knobbly wool that could make some lovely seaweed.  But again I am happy to be sending the wool out to play and staying home myself.

Two giant bags of squares and triangles are set aside for Northern Loops' Dunnet group, the shawl ministry.

The largest bags of all are for a woman who knits almost as much as I breathe.  Many of the squares, triangles, flowers, shawls, and blankets are her handiwork.  When she said, "I love mohair," I added that bag of wool to the one set aside of miscellaneous DK wool.  If the rain let's up, I'll deliver her wool this afternoon.  The rest of the bags will go out in their own time as I meet with my friends and listen to their projects and ideas and hear about where the wool is going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment